I spent some of my spare time in the last month or so writing a tiny blog engine, and I really like how it came out.
Here are some interesting (to me, at least!) facts about my blog project:
- Coded in Python.
- Built on the Flask microframework.
- A small sqlite database holds the posts and the comments.
- The presentation of all pages and RSS feeds is driven by templates.
- The comment form uses Google's reCAPTCHA to reduce spam.
- The rendered HTML code of all posts, comments and sidebar sections is cached and only re-rendered when something changes.
- A simple admin interface allows me to moderate comments and edit future posts.
- Hosted on nginx web server.
I plan to write a series of articles to describe some of the above items in detail, so stay tuned for those.